My friend Ashley posted this super yummy recipe a few weeks back (see her post here) and if you know me, I love trying new recipes, so I had to try it myself! It originated from the website We Are Not Martha, so you can check out that site for some other unique recipes.
This is the simplest little recipe, minimal calories (as long as you go easy on the cream cheese and cheddar), and although higher in fat than some might like, I don't mind because I don't get that much fat in my diet sometimes and who could pass up some cheesy deliciousness?! As long as you use the ingredients moderately, you'll be just fine. Plus sunflower seeds (like almonds and other nuts) are full of good fats and fiber so the recipe will you fill you right up and keep you full! Read more about the benefits of sunflower seeds here.
So here is what you need:
green apple
cream cheese
sunflower kernels
white cheddar cheese
bread (I use whole grain sandwich thins)
cream cheese
sunflower kernels
white cheddar cheese
bread (I use whole grain sandwich thins)
couldn't ask for something simpler, right?
-I spread a total of one tablespoon of cream cheese on both sides of my sammy thins.
-I then sprinkle with my desired amount of sunflower kernels
-I use about half a green apple and load up both sides
-As for the white cheddar - its the best! I will admit I tried this recipe with my vegetarian cheddar-flavored cheese; it was good, but nothing beats the white cheddar. I only use tiny squares that will melt into each other and only use it on one side to cut down on the fat. But you most certainly should make it to your tastes and diet because its DELICIOUS - I am not kidding.
-I bake (at 350) mine in the oven for a little over 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and apples are warm.
-You can eat it open face or make a sammy out of it - either way this recipe is so yummy!
Seriously, how delicious does this look? I have eaten this almost everyday since I tried it...
Enjoy!

thanks for the shout-out! mmmm delish! xo
ReplyDelete