(A little overdue synopsis of my business trips to Brazil in 2011...)
I traveled to Brazil on business twice during September and October in 2011. It certainly was a new experience (in many ways, both good and...I'll say not so good instead of bad, haha) for me.
I work in the Oil & Gas industry, and more specifically we specialize in ultra deepwater drilling. We operate only ultra deepwater drillships and that puts us in a very unique and specialized niche in the offshore drilling market. Our company is relatively new (started in 2008...I was our 7th employee worldwide, which is my only claim to fame haha) so at this point in 2012 we are in a very busy growth stage. I specifically work in our Human Resources department and am an HR Generalist primarily focused right now on special projects. One of my main projects currently is our regional office implementation in Brazil. We recently contracted one of our vessels in Rio and I am specifically focused on setting up our office there that will employee both expatriates and local Brazilians, and will be the support office for all operational vessels and their crews contracted in the region.
I really feel very lucky to have been given this opportunity to travel to Brazil and take on this project. With the help of our whole HR team, we really are playing a huge part in achieving our operational goal to begin drilling ASAP. Of course, there have been some interesting challenges with all this traveling for me. For my first trip I literally left on a whim (submitted for my visa on a Thursday, got it back on Tuesday and left that same evening)! I left work at 4pm that afternoon and was on a plane at 9pm to Rio. When you're not a frequent international traveler, a 10-hour flight sure is a long one (even if overnight). And on my first flight back (when I was so excited to get back home to my husband and pup) we had a two hour delay after taking off and re-landing in Rio + and emergency stop in Panama at 3am in the morning due to losing cabin pressue! It was insane. After a lot of anxiety, waiting and plane changing, I finally made it home 14 hours later. So needless to say, my first trip was filled with lots of new experiences, haha. The second trip went very smoothly and there were no plane issues thank goodness.
My trips were both about two weeks long and all work - my days consisted of going from the hotel to the office, back to the hotel, sleep and do it all again. We did go to some amazing dinners in Rio which was very exciting; lots of great food and a great atmosphere everywhere we went! I wasn't able to really explore Rio like a true tourist since I was there on my own and it really isn't safe when you're alone. My hotel was on the beach though and I was able to run the Boardwalk and enjoy the views. On my 2nd trip I was so fortunate to spend time with the wife of one of our executives who lives in Rio. We had breakfast at a local bakery and I was able to see their beautiful home (literally at the top of a mountain in the trees!). We also visited downtown Rio to see the historic buildings which was very cool! My absolute favorite part of it all was during my 2nd trip... seeing Christ the Redeemer and our amazing helicopter tour over Rio. Absolutely breathtaking! I may be going back to Rio this year to check in with the office periodically now that they are up and running on their own. I continue to advise and support them remotely.
And now, let the pictures begin...
view from my hotel in Barra
The awesome little bakery we went to...
awesome Brazilian baked goods
(pardon my terrible hair and attire; it was the rainy season)...on Copacabana Beach
another view from my hotel...
my balcony...
street view
beach
pretty sunrise
halfway to see Christ the Redeemer
our helicopter arrived :)
lifting off in the helicopter over Rio
up we go :)
it was literally breathtaking seeing the city and Christ from this view...
words just cannot describe and this picture does the experience no justice...one I will never ever forget.
awesome
incredible
wow
I wish I remembered each area of Rio we were seeing; I was so excited (and the tour was impromptu) and I was unprepared to take notes! Enjoy these aerial views...
Sugar Loaf
After the helicopter tour, we made our way up to the Christ statue. If you ever go, take the stairs and enjoy the views. :)
where's Rani? ;)
downtown Rio
I was so very fortunate to have such a generous and thoughtful tour guide to show me this side of the city. It really turned a stressful business trip into a real cultural experience. Blessed.
My role with my company may take me to other parts of the world this year, which I plan to share here. Stay tuned! :)
view from my hotel in Barra
The awesome little bakery we went to...
awesome Brazilian baked goods
back view of the hotel...
beach
halfway to see Christ the Redeemer
our helicopter arrived :)
and so begins one of THE MOST amazing experiences of my life thus far...
awesome
wow
I wish I remembered each area of Rio we were seeing; I was so excited (and the tour was impromptu) and I was unprepared to take notes! Enjoy these aerial views...
Sugar Loaf
After the helicopter tour, we made our way up to the Christ statue. If you ever go, take the stairs and enjoy the views. :)
I was so very fortunate to have such a generous and thoughtful tour guide to show me this side of the city. It really turned a stressful business trip into a real cultural experience. Blessed.
My role with my company may take me to other parts of the world this year, which I plan to share here. Stay tuned! :)


so interesting! and gorgeous pictures - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWow! Other parts?? How exciting! The pictures were beautiful and I am soooo glad that the 2nd trip ended up being much more enjoyable! Can't wait to hang out with you in just afew days among some other mountains!
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a beautiful place!! What a cool experience & you are definitely lucky to have a job like that :)
ReplyDelete